Wednesday, September 28, 2005


Waddup y'all?! I'm back (to only disappear again that is). Last weekend I had a fabulous time and I just wanted to share with the handful of you that actually read my blog. LOL. A group of us just popped into my car and we headed out to Malacca. The only other car was our tour guide's, Dev who actually is from Malacca. This time we were being economic so we decided to crash in Dev's home. No we did not force ourselves in, he actually invited.

We left PJ around noon although we wanted to leave at 10am. You know la how great Malaysian timing is. Anyhoo we reached Malacca around 2ish and went straight to Dev's home. We were greeted by his lovely mum who ushered us in. We dropped our bags and what not in our room and zoomed straight out to have some chicken rice balls for lunch. Boy was dem' balls good. Now now get your mind outta gutter please. We ate at this place called Famosa I think which is located along Jonker's Street. After the scrumptious lunch we headed to Dev's church. A very beautiful place I must say. Its not like the usual churches where there are small rooms and corners hidden. This was one big spacious hall. Timing was perfect as well because Dev and the others were practising for mass the next morning. We got a short preview of Dev on the piano and his mom singing. Simply amazing. It was like watching the duet between Nat King Cole and his daughter performing 'Unforgettable' live. While Dev continued practising, we headed out to get some local ice cream. You know the ones I'm talking about. Only cost RM1 for 2 mouth watering scoops of any flavour on a wafer cone. Its hard to find those in Klang Valley nowadays so we were not going to miss the chance. Its sold in most touristy areas of Malacca. *Droool* I can still taste the chocolate and sweetcorn mix I had.

Around 5ish we decided to head back to Dev's house. On the way we made a detour to this place called Gula Melaka Cafe. There we had some Sago Gula Melaka with Santan followed by a bowl of slurpy Cendol. Damn I've never had that GOOD a gula melaka before. Around klang valley we can get the same desserts but they always use brown sugar instead of Gula Melaka. The taste just isn't the same. The gula melaka at the cafe was simply intoxicating. One can get high we just a small teaspoons full. After the ever so sweet desserts we headed back to Dev's house. There we crashed on our beds and rested for a bit. We took turns taking our showers and getting ready for a night out. By the time we were done it was already 8pm. We got into one car and headed to Umbai for dinner.

Umbai is about 20 minutes or so from Malacca town and is very popular among locals and tourist for their fresh grilled seafood. Its actually a jetty with many malay owned stalls around selling the same exact thing. The 5 of us got about 6 squids, a big Siakap fish and some Sting Ray. We told the cook to grill them all in different flavours. We settled for breaded squid with sweet chilly sauce, deep fried fish with 3 flavour sauce and grilled stingray with chilli rub. The food was served in about 15 minutes or so. By then we were already pigging out on Otak Otak and nasi lemak. We also had a pitcher of Ice Lemon Tea. The seafood was really good. Fresh and tasty. If not for us being tired and full from the other escapades, we would have had more. All that we ate only cost us RM60. Which if you ask anyone, is DIRT CHEAP! After dinner we drove back to Malacca town to head to Jonker's Street.

At night on weekends they close Jonker's Street and allow stalls to be set up. Locals and tourist would roam around munching on various goodies sold or buying interesting ornaments or antiques. They even sell pets. Can you beat that. Anyways the night market wasn't really our goal. There is this nice pub in the middle called Ringo and we wanted to end the night there. We managed to get a nice table on the street in the middle between Ringo Pub and this other pub called The Geographer. These 2 pubs have an agreement that each take 30 minute sets to play their respective live music. Very interesting compromise. Sadly the singer in The Geographer sucked and spoilt so many of my favourite oldies. The idiot sounded like he was in some karoake session. Luckily we had Ringo (who obviously is the owner of Ringo Pub *duh*) who is great as a guitarist and singer. He really liven up things that night. Between the 5 of us we managed to polish off about 5 buckets of beer and share lots of laughter and good music. The night ended around 2am. From there we adjourned to this place near Dev's house called Habeeb Sultan . Its a typical Indian Muslim restaurant that you can find all over Malaysia. The only thing that makes this place special is the Maggi Goreng (fried instant noodles). I have never had such good maggi goreng before. Its not overly spicy or lacking in taste. The noodles were just right and the taste magical. If only they had something like that in Klang Valley. It'll definately be my after beers hangout.

We only managed to retire around 4am. Or at least that is what I think the time was. Next thing I knew it was around noon Sunday and we were being told to wake up for lunch. Dev's mom was kind enough to prepare us a yummy lunch. We had chicken curry, mutton paraetal, rasam, beans, appalam and rice. I could only manage one round but the others were gobbling everything up. After lunch we crashed in the TV room. Too full and tired to go anywhere. An hour or so of bumming around we couldn't sit still anymore. We got up and headed to the beach. Sadly its not that much of a beach so we just ended up eating ice cream and staring at the ocean. After finishing up our ice cream we headed to the church again. There we caught this amazing kid play the drums while a young girl sing. Its amazing the talents some people have. If only I had a musical side, besides making weird or rude noises that is. At about 5ish we were back in Dev's house and his mom was busy making tea. We had cucur udang and biscuits all laid out. When we were done with tea we were too full or tired to think of the next move. We bummed for a couple of hours before deciding that it was time to head back to PJ. But not before we had some dinner of course. Dev took us to this place which is by the sea called Sampan Cafe. A very romantic place. Its this old bungalow which they did up to have indoor seating and also the kitchen and what not. The best part was outside overlooking the sea where there were tables set up all over. Its a big piece of land housing almost 20 odd tables. Sadly it wasn't windy when we went there so we couldn't enjoy the full experience. The food there was so so and the service was horrible. I wouldn't say it was the best experience all weekend. Thank god for the tasty fruit juices. By the time we were done it was already 10pm. Said our goodbyes to Dev and we headed home. Reached around midnight due to heavy traffic. Sent my mates home, had a shower and knocked out. Woke up around noon the next day. Can't wait for the next trip!

I know I know its a freaking long post. But you do not want me to leave out anything right? Anyways I'm tired from typing all this out. You guys have a good night kay. Toodles.


Hybernating Bear said...

You think your is long.... wait till you read my version... ciaoss

JayWeC said...

Pal, dont la write so long. Malas aku nak baca la. Hehe. But nevertheless, enjoy reading that. KAka. have a great weekend!

neednotknow said...

any more updates?

write longer one! lol

rudy said...

oiii apeler you where pics?? no pics? cuni walker!!