Tuesday, July 15, 2008

killiney kopitiam at jaya one, pj...

Its been ages since I did my last food review. I have a handful pending actually but just haven't found the time to post em'. This post however is what I had for lunch just a couple of hours ago.

Killiney Kopitiam is a Singaporean kopitiam chain which was originally founded in 1919. Yup thats a long way back! I heard about this place a couple of years back where the only outlet I've seen was in Damansara Uptown. Unfortunately due to the poor parking situation there, I never managed to try this place out. This particular branch is located at Jaya One along Jalan University, PJ.

First up in any kopitiam is to try out their coffee. Sunshine and I both had Kopi Ais (RM2.50). It came in a nice tall glass and tasted pretty good. Not too sweet or too strong. A rather good start to the meal.

We both wanted something light so we decided on trying out their noodles. They looked really yummy in the menu. Sunshine settled on the Mee Rebus (RM5.80). When it came it smelled and looked good. Sadly though the moment she put it in her mouth, it all went downhill. The noodles were ok but the gravy was way below par. How can one enjoy noodles when its gravy isn't up to task? Think Nyonya Colors still serves the best mee rebus in town. At least cafe type mee rebus that is.

I wanted to try something new so I decided on the Singapore Katong Laksa (RM5.80). Just like Sunshine's noodles, it came looking yummy and rich. Sadly though thats about as good as it got. The soup, albeit rich in lemak flavor was too oily to enjoy. The only plus point was the tauhu pok which were fresh and crispy. I left half the noodles behind as I couldn't take the oily soup.

As an appetizer we ordered one set of Roti Bakar (RM2.30). Sadly though it came half way through our meal. What made it worse? The simplest of dishes turned out to be the worst I've ever tasted. Never thought anyone can screw this up but I guess theres always a first! The bread was stale while the kaya & butter didn't even taste like they should. We practically left half of it untouched. :(

This might be cos the place is new but I will never return to Killiney Kopitiam. They bastardized a simple dish like roti bakar. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. My road side mamak serves up a much better fare and 1/3 the price! :P

Killiney Kopitiam, D-6-1, Level 1, 55LG2, Block D, Jaya One, No. 72A Jalan Universiti, PJ.

No comments: