Sunday, November 04, 2007

big apple donuts & coffee at the Curve...

Don't think I have to say much about Big Apple Donuts & Coffee @ the Curve, Mutiara Damansara. Since they have opened shop, many have raved about it. Especially when its almost close to the 'oh so sinfully yummy' Krispy Kremes, which sadly haven't come to our shores.


I first tasted it about 3.5 months back or so when my bro brought some home. The only thing stopping me from eating it more is its located in a mall and you gotta line up to get ya fix. The queue is generally up to what time you get there. At noon it was rather quiet but when I headed back around 3pm it was about 15 ppl long. No chance of just popping over by the side of the road or even a drive in like Dunkin' Donuts.


The concept is pretty simple. Line up and wait for ya turn. Select ya donuts and pay at the end of the line. Keeps things nice and organised. On top of that while waiting in line you get to decide on what type since theres about 20 odd to choose from. One donut is RM2, 1/2 dozen is RM9.50 and 1 dozen is RM17. Think they are priced slightly cheaper than Dunkin' Donuts.


Since its only my dad and I at home who eats this, I decided on 1/2 dozen donuts. I ended up with the American Almond, Walnut, Tango Mango, Choreo, Witnut (peanut butter filled) and Banana Rama. Think I have tasted all varieties except for Duren Duren and Spicy Floss.

Tastewise I gotta rate this much better than Dunkin' Donuts. Nice soft texture, rich in flavour and not overly sweet. Always felt Dunkin' Donuts to be rather dry and certain flavours coyingly sweet. They also store better in the sense you can eat it days after purchase as long as you keep em' refrigerated. Never did like day old Dunkin' Donuts.

I wouldn't say they are on par with Krispy Kreme, but at least they are close. Definately my place for donut fixes. There has been this rumour that Big Apple actually imitates another chain famous in Indonesia called J.Co Donuts & Coffee, which has actually opened their first branch in The Pavilion, KL. Interestingly enough their concept, logo, box and variety are almost identical. ;)

I might just head down there one day and compare em'. Heard their donuts tastes better than Big Apple's. Sadly also heard the queue is looong. Arrggh. Hate lining up for my food. :(

3 comments:

MeiyeN said...

for me, i think that j.co and big apples donuts are quite da same but you can try their newly opened outlet at sunway pyramid if you think that kl is too far away :) let's pray hard that someone gonna bring krispy kreme to m'sia and of course, in kl/pj area! lol...

sbd18 said...

wah now pyramid has one...hmmm good good...but like u said...me agree both the same...so the curve still the best place for me...:D

would b good if krispy kreme comes...hope once they see how j.co and big apple is growing they'll step in...*droool*

Anonymous said...

We can also try to enjoy at Nash Donuts & Bakery di De' Rendezvous, Jalan Perda Selatan, Bandar Perda, Bukit Mertajam, Pulau Pinang, ..... Hmm... it's very delicious and truly taste of donuts.